Education for a Lifetime [EFL] believes that parents are the greatest influence in the lives of their students. In fact, a recent study found that 52% of children ages 12-15 said their parents carry the most weight when it comes to the topic of sex, and 37% of student’s ages 16-19 agreed. EFL also recognizes that most parents do not often feel equipped to broach the topic of sex and other high-risk behaviors with their children. Therefore, we have designed this Parent Talk to educate and equip parents in connecting with their students and communicating about high-risk behaviors.
Parent Talk Overview:
This talk will help parents learn why and how to have a conversation with your student(s) about sexual activity, relationships, suicide, and other high
Here are some of the topics we can cover during our time together:
- Understanding and connecting with teen culture
- Pressures teens face (i.e. sexting and pornography)
- Communicating with your teenager about sex and boundaries in relationships
- Adolescent brain development
- Importance of the parental relationship
- Consequences of sexual activity and abusive relationships
- Benefits of teaching sexual risk avoidance
- Mental Health and Teen Suicide
- Parents with children of all ages are invited to come, as this information is not just for parents of middle school and high school parents.
- Typically this time is set aside for parents only, and it is encouraged for them to not bring their students.
If you are interested in hosting a parent talk at your organization, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org!